St. Colette Catholic School
3940 Pheasant Drive
Rolling Meadows IL 60008
CODE OF CONDUCT FOR SPORTS PARENT/GUARDIAN
The purpose of the following Sports Parent/Guardian Code of Conduct is to help define appropriate parental/guardian actions that support the mission of the athletic program. Parents/guardians should read, understand, and sign this form prior to participation. Any parent/guardian who does not follow the guidelines below will be asked to leave the sports facility and be suspended from the privilege of attending games. The essential elements of character-building and ethics in sports are embodied in the concept of sportsmanship and six core principles: trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and good citizenship. The highest potential of sports is achieved when competition reflects these pillars of character.
As a parent/guardian, I therefore agree to the following:
- I will not force my child to participate in sports.
- I will remember that the game is for youth, not adults.
- I will learn the rules of the game and the policies of the league.
- I (and my guests) will be a positive role model for my child and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy towards all players, coaches, officials, and spectators at all games and practices.
- I (and my guests) will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct (booing, taunting, etc) or any other form of harassment towards any official, coach, player or parent.
- I (and my guests) will not use any profane language or gestures.
- I will not encourage any behaviors or practices that would endanger the health and well being of the athletes.
- I will teach my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
- I will demand that my child treat other players, coaches, officials, and spectators with respect. I will teach my child the importance of hustle, playing fairly, and doing one’s best.
- I will never ridicule or yell at my child or other participants for making a mistake or losing a competition.
- I will emphasize the importance of skill development over winning and losing.
- I will promote the emotional and physical well-being of the athletes ahead of any personal desire I may have for my own child.
- I will respect the officials and their authority during games, and will never publicly question their decisions.
- I will respect the coaches for the time they donate, and I will never publicly confront, question, or criticize them.
- I will demand a sports environment for my child that is free from drugs, tobacco, and alcohol, and I will refrain from their use at all sports events.
- I will refrain from coaching my child or other players during games and practices, unless I am one of the official coaches for the team.
Source: Handbook for Athletics in the Catholic Elementary School, 2011